Email Paula Jill Krasny
Paula Jill Krasny*
An internationally renowned branding lawyer, Paula has been practicing intellectual property law for 25 years. Her clients’ brands are household names. Paula works with clients to realize maximum value from their brands through licensing arrangements, acquisitions, dispositions and restructurings. She also manages clients’ intellectual property portfolios through the selection and clearance of marks, the strategic registration of marks internationally and the global enforcement of brands.
- Conducted global rebranding and registration program in 5 continents for multinational insurance company.
- Devised and coordinated global advertising clearance program for well- known hotel brands.
- Acquired US rights for an Asian luxury hotel brand in the US.
- Acquired for European and Asian based apparel company distressed US trademark rights for well-known apparel brand.
- Negotiated trademark licenses for global apparel brand.
- Counsel to well-known nonprofit health agency for over 20 years, involving celebrity talent and endorsements.
- Routinely work with tax planners and counsel on global restructurings involving IP rights.
- Devise and oversee IP due diligence in global and domestic acquisitions, dispositions and restructurings.
- Represent clients in trademark enforcement matters including litigation, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board proceedings and ICANN proceedings.
- Successfully defended companies investigated by State Attorneys General for alleged false adverting practices.
- Lectured on IP rights in China as the guest of the municipality of Shanghai before China joined the World Trade Organization.
- Lectured in Colombia on the effect of free trade agreements on intellectual property rights before Colombia and the US entered into a Free Trade Agreement.
- Present to trade associations and corporations on maximizing brand value through social media and global protection of brands.
- Former Chair of Baker & McKenzie IP Practice Group, Chicago Office.
- Featured in inaugural and following edition of Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law, 2010-2012
- Consistently featured in Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Trademark Law Practitioners, 2000-2012
- Recognized as an Illinois Leading Lawyer in the fields of Intellectual Property and Advertising, 2005-2012
- Recognized as one of the Top 100 Women Lawyers and Top 100 Women Business Lawyers in Illinois by Leading Lawyers Network, 2008-2010
- Honored by the Chicago/Midwest Chapter of the Anti-Defamation League as a Woman of Achievement for being a leading business woman involved in civic and community affairs, 2011
- Served on the Executive Board of the Anti-Defamation League for the Greater Chicago/Upper Midwest Chapter, Executive Committee and Board of Chicago Children’s Choir, Advisory Board of Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights, Advisory Board of Chicago Chapter of American India Foundation, and Professional Advisory Council for Chicago Foundation for Women, Board Chicago Chapter of Lawyers for the Creative Arts
- BAR ADMISSION
- Illinois (1988)
- American Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law
- A.B., Vassar College (general and departmental honors)
- Harvard University